Saturday, March 11, 2006

Kayaking at Lover's Key

After shelling on Sanibel island yesterday morning, we drove through Fort Myers Beach to the island of Lover's Key. I rented a kayak for D, and we paddled through the salt water throughout the island. This was D's first time in a kayak, but she said she had a lot of fun. We were on the water for a few hours and each of us got a pretty bad sunburn. I brought some sun tan lotion with us, but I forgot it in the truck, so we got fryed. I took along my digital camera and got some nice pictures while out in the water. There were a lot of birds and I was able to float up close to a few of them. We were hoping to see at least one manatee while out in the water, but we had no such luck. Anyway, here are some pictures:

Kayaking at Lover's Key, Florida; Photography by Troy ThomasKayaking at Lover's Key with D ahead of me.
Kayaking at Lover's Key, Florida; Photography by Troy Thomas
Osprey Nest, Lover's Key, Florida; Photography by Troy ThomasAn Osprey in it's nest.
Double-crested Cormorant, Lover's Key, Florida; Photography by Troy ThomasThis bird appears to be a Double-crested Cormorant.
Heron? Egret? Lover's Key, Florida; Photography by Troy ThomasWe have a pamphlet showing birds of Florida, but we couldn't match this bird to any of the pictures in the pamphlet. It could possibly be a type of Heron or Egret.
White Ibis, Lover's Key, Florida; Photography by Troy ThomasCan you find the White Ibis in this picture?
Kayaking at Lover's Key, Florida; Photography by Troy Thomas
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron? Lover's Ket, Florida; Photography by Troy ThomasI believe this is a Yellow-crowned Night-Heron. It was trying to sleep and I tried to be quiet as I floated close to it. But then it turned it's head and I got a picture of it's face. I don't think it liked me getting so close to it.
Kayaking at Lover's Key, Florida; Photography by Troy ThomasAfter we pulled the kayaks out of the water, we saw this sign. Fortunately, we didn't see any while out on the water.

1 Comments:

Blogger Leesa said...

Wow great bird pics! I would have been a tad freaked by the alligator sign. eeks

1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Design and Sell Merchandise Online for Free