Saturday, May 13, 2006

More Slough Preserve

I went out to the Six Mile Cypress Slough Preserve in Fort Myers for a third time, but this time I took D with me to show her some of the wildlife. This happened on May 2nd, so I am a little late putting the pictures up.
Six Mile Cypress Slough Preserve in Fort Myers, Florida; Photography by Troy ThomasThis was an unexpected sight for me. I heard something rustling in the bushes, but couldn't find anything. After a few minutes, I saw a few feral hogs rummaging around in the mud. There were probably about 5 or 6 different hogs, but I couldn't get clear shots of most of them.
Six Mile Cypress Slough Preserve in Fort Myers, Florida; Photography by Troy ThomasAnother feral hog.
Six Mile Cypress Slough Preserve in Fort Myers, Florida; Photography by Troy ThomasThis is the same area where I found the feral hogs. We are in a drought here in Southwest Florida, so the water levels are really low. Most of the birds like it better because it is easier for them to catch the fish. There are a few different types of birds in this shot. If you look close enough, you can see an alligator in the background.
Six Mile Cypress Slough Preserve in Fort Myers, Florida; Photography by Troy ThomasYou can see the alligator a little more clear in this shot. I'm not sure if it was coming out to sun itself or if it was hoping to snack on the blue heron that is nearby.

2 Comments:

Blogger Marianna said...

Wow! How long/big would you say the feral hogs were? That would have scared me!

M~

3:42 PM  
Blogger Troy Thomas said...

Those hogs weren't very big...maybe about two and a half feet long. We were up a little off the ground on a boardwalk. There wasn't anything to be worried about.

.-= Troy =-.

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Design and Sell Merchandise Online for Free